Monday, February 2, 2009

More Groundhog Day goodness...

I was going to respond to a comment made about my Warner HOF credentials in the comment section, but figured you should all get a chance to read it, even those who aren't regular commenters.
Here is the original comment:

"In no disrespect to Kurt Warner's talent (ok maybe a little), is he not partially just a product of his system? Look at Roethlisberger's stats for example. Nothing amazing. But I'd take him as my QB any day over Warner.
And your stats reveal fundamental flaws. Are Chad Pennington and Tony Romo HOFers? No!
Remember when Kurt Warner was Eli Manning's backup? In the prime of his career!
I'm just saying that the Cards had the worst running offense in the league and Warner had Fitzgerald and Boldin to throw to. And don't even get me started on his targets in St. Louis.
I'm not saying Warner is bad. But HOFer? Your credentials are too weak."

...and my response:

While I agree with you that taken on their own, some of those statistics mentioned are not overwhelming, the point is the combination, or depth of his stats is what makes the argument.
When you combine his passing numbers, with his passing accuracy and his two MVP's, three Super Bowl appearances, one win and MVP and his longevity, I think the argument speaks for itself.

If you want to say he is a product of a system, that may be a fair point. But then look at a guy like Bob Griese. He is in the hall essentially for having played on one of the best teams in the history of the NFL, the early 70's Dolphins.

Other than Griese's championships, the numbers he put up were mediocre. You can't fault a player for the team he is on, that's why Dan Marino is still considered one of the greatest to play to position despite having never won a SB. And don't tell me the fact Joe Montana, Jim Kelly and Troy Aikman played on some great teams should detract from what they did.

If you add onto all of this Warner's story as far as how he made it to the NFL and his legacy for being one of the more generous and philanthropic players in the game, there really isn't much of an argument.
Not in my head, at least.

Keep the comments coming. I post these blogs to get the brain-juices flowing and I love the debates they create.

No comments:

Post a Comment