Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekend Musings

- The NFL Combine is the most boring television event I can imagine...how the NFL Network (which I've written about before) thinks this is a good idea to dedicate 17 hours a day to live and replay shows of this non-event is beyond me...

- Tony Kornheiser is hilarious...


- There is an interesting trend developing in both the NHL and NBA, where while the playoff races are tight, the divisional races aren't even close.
Here are the division leaders and by how much they lead the second place team:
NHL
New Jersey, 8 points
Boston, 19 points
Washington, 13 points
Detroit, 10 points
Calgary, 8 points
San Jose, 24 points
NBA
Boston, 16.5 games
Cleveland, 16 games
Orlando, 9 games
Denver, 1.5 games
LA Lakers, 14.5 games
San Antonio, 3 games

So there are exactly two divisions in both sports combined that are even remotely competitive, both in the NBA's Western Conference.

The races for the bottom four or five spots in the post-season are as tight as ever, but for some reason, the divisional leaders are all running away with it. Could just be one of those years.

- The Leaf fans and organization really know how to treat their former superstars. Upon Mats Sundin's first return to Toronto on Saturday night as a visiting Canuck player, the Leafs not only played a tear-inducing video tribute, but the fans gave him an extended standing ovation, prompting the linesman to back off the faceoff dot to allow for the cheers to die down and Sundin to regain his composure.
And say what you will about MLSE having no class, to cap off the night, the Leaf players even let Sundin score the winner in the shootout. You stay classy Toronto.

- 'Boom Goes The Dynamite' has made it all the way to the big time


- Speaking of the Oscars, am I the only person who didn't realize until last night that Amy Adams and Isla Fisher are actually two different people!?!......Really!?!?!...I guess that means now I get to have TWO totally unrealistic hollywood crushes...hmm, I think I'm ok with that.

- The Bruschetta Pizza from Boston Pizza is amaaaaaaazing...
(note: If any BP employees are reading this, please send all gift certificates to lonelysportsbum@gmail.com)

- Good for Venus Williams not just for winning the Dubai Tennis Championship, but for mentioning Shahar Pe'er in her post-match acceptance speech.
"I felt like I had to talk about her," Williams said. "I thought it was brave of her to come here and try and play despite knowing that it is not going to be easy for her. My dad grew up in an area where if you spoke too much, it was your life. So I felt I had a small opportunity to say something where everyone will listen."

- A-Rod hired the same lawyer who represented Sammy Sosa and Andy Pettite. I kinda like this story now, It just keeps getting more and more juicy.

- Seriously!?! The Beckham saga isn't over yet!?!?! This story has more legs than Uma Thurman.

No comments:

Post a Comment